There’s a lot of talk in the spiritual community (which includes the New Age and Pagan communities) about our “authentic self”. Then I started reading a book on life coaching yesterday and discovered that the first chapter is all about our relationship with our self, which includes our authentic self. By the time I’d finished that chapter I’d created a spread exploring this concept, which you’ll find towards the end of this blog post.
What is our authentic self?
Our “authentic self” goes by other names too, depending on which particular brand of spirituality that you ascribe too. Some that I’ve heard are:
- the higher self
- our soul
- our spirit
- the divine spark within us
Essentially, it’s the part of us that continues when our bodies die. It’s sort of the opposite of our ego. Our ego is fully embedded in our body and in this experience of this life. Our authentic self is that part of us that has existed before our incarnation in this body and will exist when this body ceases to exist.
What is the role of our authentic self?
There’s a lot of debate around this, but I’ll give you my view. You are free to agree or disagree. Your experience will be different to mine.
I see my authentic self as my connection to the web of life and the divine. It speaks to me via my intuition and physical responses in my body. For example, when I’m out of alignment with my authentic self I’ll often get anxiety. This tells me that I’m off track and then I can do something to get back on track. Often I’ll pull out a tarot and/or oracle deck and do a reading to find out what the issue is and how to correct it.
My authentic self is responsible for making sure that I learn the lessons in this lifetime that I’ve agreed to learn in between lifetimes. In other words, it’s responsible for my soul’s expansion. We incarnate to that we can experience all of life, including the bad. And, trust me, I’ve dealt with a lot of bad in this lifetime.
What happens when we are out of whack?
Being out of alignment with our authentic self can manifest in a variety of ways, some minor and some major. It could be as simple as having some depression or anxiety, or it could be as major as panic attacks which can lead to heart problems. The dis-ease that our bodies experience can often be traced back to being out of whack.
How can I realign with my authentic self?
There are lots of areas in which we can be out of alignment. And there are several ways to work out where the issue is, including:
- meditation: getting our mind still so we can examine ourselves is an important part of working this out. Asking questions of our spiritual support team is a great start, also imagining the body as light and see where the light is dark or cloudy. That will then give you an indication of what the issue is. For example, you might see a dark patch across your stomach. You’ll instinctively know if you’re eating the wrong foods for your body, or if it’s some other issue.
- intuition: you might just get an intuitive hit out of the blue. Maybe someone says something to you about your behaviour or your words. Or maybe you’ll just know that something isn’t right in that area. When I get my intuition yelling at me I pull out my journal and work through the issue logically to find the source of the dis-ease.
- divination: I have a couple of go-to spreads that I use to find the issue and get advice on a course of action from my spiritual support team.
Relationship With Myself Spread
I did this spread last night and it kicked my arse! Lovingly though. I used the Dreaming Way Tarot and The Shaman’s Oracle for the advice cards. I love using oracles for the advice cards because it gives a different perspective and adds a different voice to the reading. The cards you can see in the photo below are from the Stretch Tarot and The Shaman’s Oracle.
The positions are as follows:
- Who is my authentic self?
- Where am I in conflict with my authentic self?
- How can I come back into harmony?
- Advice from my guides (oracle card)
- Advice from my guides (oracle card)
- Outcome after taking the advice
I won’t be offering this reading in my Etsy shop unless I get requests for it. I will be using this spread with my coaching clients. If you would like a reading with this spread, please let me know. If you would like me to do a video explaining how I use the spread, also please let me know.
Other exciting news
My Etsy shop is now open. You can find a direct link in my menu bar at the top of the page. I only have a few readings there at the moment, but will be adding more options in the coming weeks. I’d love to do a reading for you. It is my passion to help others find clarity and move forward. Please check out my shop and add it to your favourites.
I also have a Facebook page now. You can find the link to the right. I have a whole bunch of fun activities planned for there, including a book club. I look forward to seeing you there.